Name: Emily Carlin
Where: Nashville, TN
Day Job: Web designer
Fun Fact: I have two different colored eyes, one green and one brown.
Other Info: I live with my boyfriend Brandon, who is mentioned quite often since he’s my main taste tester. When I’m not working or cooking I spend a lot of time outside in my garden.
The Beginning: In 2008, after years of eating out at cheap restaurants for the majority of the week and rarely cooking, I finally got to the point where I just did not want to step foot in one more restaurant. I was tired of the unhealthy food, the money wasted and it was finally motivation enough to get me back to my kitchen.
I started this site as a way to chronicle this new part of my life, but also to be able to share recipes and tips and learn new things. Since I love taking photos, this has given me a wonderful new outlet for that as well.
About the Recipes: I’m not a gourmet. I’m a picky eater. I love Top Chef, but I’d probably only eat half of what those guys come up with. However, I’m trying very hard to expand my horizons and eat more of a variety of foods. Joining my local CSA in early 2011 has helped with this immensely.
I have always been partial to baking, but I really don’t need the excuse to make more desserts, so I try to share a variety of recipes, sometimes healthy, sometimes not. I’m more concerned about fresh, unprocessed food that tastes good and is simple to make. I do try to stay away from very high fat/calorie foods, but I have to splurge sometimes (especially around the holidays)! You can view the Recipe Index for a categorized listing of all the recipes here.
I welcome your comments, suggestions, questions, etc. You can contact me using this handy-dandy contact form or you can email me directly: emily [at] backtothecuttingboard.com
Copyright and usage
This site is 100% me. I write all the content and I take all the photos. I’ve put in a lot of hours here, so please don’t steal my hard work!
Photos: You may post one of my photos on your own website or blog ONLY if you provide a credit to Emily Carlin or Back to the Cutting Board AND a link back either to the original post or to the home page. If you don’t do either of these things I will consider it stealing and take the proper actions to get my content removed from your site. If you want to use more than one of my photos or if you want to use the photos for any kind of commercial purposes, please contact me and ask first. I’m generally open to these kinds of things, but it’s just common courtesy to ask.
Recipes: I always credit where I get any recipes I post here. You can’t really copyright a recipe, but you can copyright the wording of a recipe. As such, I never copy someone’s recipe word-for-word and I would ask that you do the same.
The point of this site is to share recipes and I would love it if you try one of my recipes and post about it on your own blog, but just don’t copy it exactly. Write the instructions out in your own words! Edit it, add to it, make notes about what did and didn’t work for you. Believe me, your readers will appreciate it if you take the extra time to do this rather than just copy and paste someone else’s work. If you don’t have the time/desire to rewrite a recipe, I’d ask you to link directly to my post rather than copying it wholesale onto your blog.
I’m very honored to be featured on these blogs and websites:
- 5-9-2013: 6 Homemade Versions of Kids’ Favorite Snacks on PopSugar Moms
- 1-22-2013: Granola Recipe: No-Bake, Homemade Bars on Huffpost Taste
- 10-3-2012: Homemade Granola Cereals/Mixes & Bars on Tipnut
- 2-23-2012: 100 things to do with Peanut Butter on Endless Simmer
- 09-28-2011: Bites From Other Blogs on Baking Bites
- 09-27-2011: Beyond Pie: Pumpkin Pie Spice on The Kitchn
- 09-07-11: Link Love: Entertaining and Cooking Blogs on The Daily Meal
- 08-25-2011: What We’re Reading In the Chow Test Kitchen on Chow
- 07-22-2011: Taste Growing as Reason Consumers Buy WG on Whole Grains Council
- 07-14-2011: 15 Cool Summer Pies You Just Have To Try on Babble
- 05-28-2011: Foodbuzz Top 9
- 05-25-2011: Ezra Klein’s Blog on WashingtonPost.com
- 04-21-2011: Foodbuzz Top 9
- 03-18-2011: Foodbuzz Top 9
- 02-15-2011: 20 Recipes For Chicken Casserole on Tipnut
- 02-14-2011: 12 Quick & Easy No-Bake Cookies on Tipnut
- 12-27-2010: Photo for Snow Cream and Sugar on Snow: Blizzard Food on Slashfood
- 10-14-2010: 100 Ways to Cook a Pumpkin on Endless Simmer
- 09-17-2010: Food Blog Roundup: Tagliatelle, Thomas Keller and the Ivy League Future of Food on Gourmet Live
- 09-15-2010: Bites From Other Blogs on Baking Bites
- 09-13-2010: Recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup on Dallas American Food Examiner
- 09-06-2010: Food Blog of the Day on Foodista
- 08-19-2010: Foodbuzz Top 9
- 12-16-2009: Surprise Cookies, Snowman Cakes and Martha’s Prop Room on The Kitchn