Back to the Cutting Board
adapted from Real Simple Magazine
Dinner | Servings: 4
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 30 min | Total time: 50 min
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 lb.) whole chicken, cut in pieces
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained*
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- Heat oven to 400 degrees (F). Season chicken with 3/4 tsp. of the salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook without turning, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Spoon off and discard all but 1 tbsp. of the fat from the pan. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the paprika, and the remaining salt. Bring to simmer.
- Return the chicken to pot if using dutch oven. If you don’t have a dutch oven pour the onion-tomato mixture into a dish and place chicken on top. Place in oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Serve on top of rice or egg noodles.