Back to the Cutting Board
Chicken a la King
from Back to the Cutting Board
Dinner | Servings: 2 to 3
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 35 min
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 1/2 – 7 oz. canned chicken or tuna, drained
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli (I don’t measure, I just use half a bag of frozen broccoli)
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 6 frozen, ready to bake, puff pastry shells 
- Cook broccoli according to package directions, set aside.
- Put pastries in the oven and bake according to their directions. (They take about 20-25 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion, saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, until bubbly. Stir in broth, milk and seasonings. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens (you want a gravy-like consistency), about 10 minutes.
- Gently fold in tuna, broccoli, parsley. Cook one more minute until hot. Serve in puff pastries.