Back to the Cutting Board
Lemonade Layer Cake
adapted from Cooking Light Complete Cookbook 
Dessert | Servings: 1 9″ cake (16 servings)
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 2 hours
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp. thawed lemonade concentrate
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free or low fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp. thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1 (8 oz.) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, very cold (if it’s softened the frosting will be too thin)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Coat 2 (9 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, butter, lemon rind, lemonade concentrate and vanilla in a large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add half of the flour mixture to the mixer bowl and beat well.
- Add all the buttermilk and beat again. Then beat in the remaining flour.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans evenly. I weighed both pans on my kitchen scale to make sure they have the about same amount in each. Sharply tap pans once on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooking, start preparing the frosting. Place butter, lemon rind, lemonade concentrate, vanilla and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl and beat at high speed until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed just until blended. Don’t overbeat!
- Chill in refrigerator for at least an 1 hour.
- When cake is completely cooked and the frosting has been chilled, spread 1/2 cup of frosting over one cake layer. Top with the other layer and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides. To have a much easier time frosting the cake, I recommend putting the completely cooled layers in the freezer for about half an hour first.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. Store cake, loosely covered, in the refrigerator.
Serving size: 1 slice