Back to the Cutting Board
adapted from David Lebovitz 
Dessert | Servings: 9 servings
Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 35 min | Total time: 1 hour
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5 tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Grease a 8 or 9-inch square pan or line it with foil, making sure it goes up all four sides and grease lightly.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the sugar, then the eggs.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Stir in chocolate mixture, then add 1 tsp. vanilla and chocolate chips. Spread evenly in the pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the yolk, 5 tbsp. of sugar, and 1/8 tsp. vanilla until smooth.
- Distribute the cream cheese mixture in eight or nine dollops across the top of the brownie mixture, then take a dull knife or spatula and gently swirl the cream cheese mixture with the chocolate batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the batter in the center of the pan feels just set. Let cool and cut into squares.