Back to the Cutting Board
Pear-Cranberry Streusal Kuchen
adapted from Cooking Light
Breakfast, Dessert | Servings: 8-10
Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 50 min | Total time: 1 hour 15 min
- 5 cups (about 4 large) chopped Anjou (or whatever is in season/your favorite) pears (substitute: Golden Delicious or Rome apples)
- 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ginger or nutmeg
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute (or 1 egg)
- 2 1/2 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (substitute: raisins)
Note: if you’re like me and you really like streusal, you may want to double this.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. AP or whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp. rolled oats (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ginger or nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tbsp. cold butter or margarine
- 2 tsp. light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees (F).
- Arrange chopped pears in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sugar. Bake for 8 minutes, stirring well. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sugar and bake an 7 more minutes or until pears are slightly soft. Set aside to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- While pears are baking, make the streusal: combine brown sugar, oats, flour, and spices in a small bowl. Using your fingers or a pastry blender cut in margarine and corn syrup until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine with next flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg substitute, oil, and lemon rind. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Gently fold in pears and cranberries.
- Spoon mixture into a 10-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray; place pan on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle streusal evenly over batter in pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes (20-25 minutes in mini springform pans) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm or room temperature.