Breakfast | Servings: 10-18 donuts (depending on size)
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 35 min
- 6 tbsp. plain yogurt OR 6 tbsp. buttermilk OR 5 1/2 tbsp. of milk with 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar dissolved in it (let sit about 10 minutes)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 quart oil for deep frying (I like peanut oil)
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture alternating with the milk/yogurt. Add some more flour if you still think it’s not doughy enough.
- Roll dough out on a (very) floured surface to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut out donuts. I don’t have a fancy donut cutter, so I used a small bowl and a cap from the oil bottle for the middle hole. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degrees (F). Fry donuts in the hot oil until golden, turning over once. 1 minute 30 seconds was the magic number for me. I let them fry on the first side for 1 minute and then turned them over and let them fry for 30 more seconds. Drain on paper towels. Cover with confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon-sugar, glaze or whatever else you want while they are still warm, and serve immediately.