Back to the Cutting Board
Roasted Cornish Hens with Grapes
Dinner | Servings: 4
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 35 min | Total time: 45 min
- 1 1/2 lbs. red and green seedless grapes
- 8 shallots, root end intact, halved if large
- 6 sprigs of thyme, plus more leaves for hens
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 (1 – 1 1/4 lb.) Cornish game hens*
*Substitution: Bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts – 10-12 oz. each
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F).
- Toss together grapes, shallots and thyme sprigs with olive oil, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Rinse the hens and pat dry, then tie the legs together with twine. (I just use thread from my sewing kit!)
- Nestle hens among the grapes on the baking sheet, breast side up. Season with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
- Roast, basting the hens occasionally with pan juices, until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the leg reads 160 degrees (F), about 30-35 minutes.