Dinner | Servings: 4 to 6
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 15 min
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packets Chili Seasoning mix (I usually get a packet of mild and a packet of original, otherwise it’s too spicy for me)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes with chilies, undrained
- 2 cans kidney beans or black beans (or one of each), drained
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onions over until the meat is cooked and the onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess oil (usually not a issue with turkey or lean beef).
- Add seasoning mix and garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and beans. Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
If the chili is too thick for your liking, throw in a extra 8 oz. can of tomato sauce or another 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
Bread, Side Dish | Servings: 9-12
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 20 min
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Lightly grease a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the cream, oil, honey and eggs; stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.