Lemon and Lime Cream Parfaits with Blackberries
Dessert, Snack | Servings: 3 to 4
Prep time: 20 min | Total time: 20 min
- 3 cups fresh* blackberries (or blueberries), divided
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat or non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Place 1 cup of blackberries in a small saucepan and sprinkle with sugar. Place on medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries start giving off juice. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring and crushing the berries, until the liquid has thickened a little, about 5 to 8 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a small bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Combine cream cheese, yogurt and honey in a mixer bowl and beat on high speed until light and creamy. Transfer half the cream to another bowl.
- Finely grate the lemon rind and add it the first bowl of cream. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze lemon juice from one half (about a teaspoon or so) into the bowl. Stir well.
- Finely grate the lime rind and add it to the second bowl. Cut the lime in half and squeeze lime juice from one half (about a teaspoon or so) into the bowl. Stir well.
- Divide the lemon cream between 3 or 4 glasses or small bowls. Top with the remaining blackberries. (Note: if you want to make this sweeter roll the blackberries in sugar first.) Divide the lime cream between the dishes. Drizzle blackberry syrup on top. Add more blackberries if desired. Serve immediately.
The lemon and lime cream can be stored separately in sealed containers in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
*Fresh is always preferable for the best flavor and texture but using frozen blackberries is ok. Thaw the frozen berries and drain on a paper towel before using. Alternately, to get more flavor out of your frozen blackberries, make them into a compote first. Here’s a simple blackberry compote recipe. (I would omit the allspice for this particular dessert.)