Back to the Cutting Board
Grapefruit Angel Food Cake
adapted from All Recipes 
Dessert | Yield: 7 jumbo-sized cupcakes or 14 normal cupcakes
Prep time: 30 min | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 15 min
You can make this into a full size cake by doubling the recipe.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. finely grated grapefruit peel
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
Strawberry Garnish (optional)
- 3 cups (1 pint) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. strained fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated grapefruit peel
- 1/2 cup strained fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Separate eggs and discard yolks or refrigerate/freeze for another use. Measure the egg whites to make sure you have 3/4 cup, adding or removing whites if necessary. Place in a mixer bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the strawberry garnish (if using). Add the sliced strawberries to a bowl along with the sugar, grapefruit juice and peel. Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Fill muffin pan with paper liners and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Sift powdered sugar and flour together three times. Stir in the grapefruit peel. Set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, grapefruit juice and salt to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar and beat on high speed until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently spoon batter into paper liners, filling about 3/4 full. Use a knife to cut through the batter to remove air pockets. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir together grapefruit juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and simmer until the mixture has reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Serve the cakes drizzled with the grapefruit glaze and garnished with strawberries.