Back to the Cutting Board
Glazed Lemon Cakes
Dessert | Servings: about 6 jumbo muffins or 12-14 regular-sized muffins
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 45 min
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus 2 tbsp. of lemon juice for the glaze
- 1/2 cup (4 oz. – 1 stick ) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Butter and flour (or if you are lazy like me, just use non-stick spray) a muffin tin. The recipe recommends a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin, but I don’t have one of those, so I just used a 12-cup regular sized muffin tin and had enough batter left over to make about 10 mini-muffins (I bought the mini muffin tin, I might as well get some use out of it).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk (I used the yogurt instead), vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture.
- Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then cool completely on a wire rack.
Set the rack over wax or parchment paper. In a small bowl (or better yet, a measuring cup or something that will allow you to pour more easily) stir confectioners sugar and 2 tbsp. of lemon juice until smooth (I added about another tablespoon to make it easier to pour). Pour over cakes, spreading with knife. Let set 30 minutes before serving.