Dessert | Yield: 24
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total time: 30 min
Of course you could make these as normal sized muffins or even a whole loaf, but that’s just not as fun!
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
*If you don’t have buttermilk (I almost never do), just add 1 tbsp. of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of regular milk and let sit out for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray/butter muffin tins.
- Combine sugar, flour, soda, salt and spices in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg, molasses, milk, and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just blended.
- Add to muffin tins** (about 3/4 full, these muffins don’t rise too much, so you don’t have to worry about them overflowing) and bake for 15 minutes. If making normal sized muffins, it’ll be more like 20 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
**I didn’t want to overfill the mini-muffin tins, but spooning the batter in seemed like it would take forever and be messy, so I made up a make-shift pastry bag by pouring the batter into a gallon sized plastic bag, cutting off a very small corner and squeezing the batter into the tins. It worked perfectly and made it very simple to control how much batter went into each one.