Back to the Cutting Board
from Back to the Cutting Board
Dessert | Servings: 4-6
Prep time: 30 min | Cook time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 30 min
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup milk, room temp.
- 2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen*
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. sugar or demerara sugar
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a 10″ oval or round baking dish.
- Heat sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar is melted. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup of butter until mixture is crumbly. Add in milk, stirring until dough forms (will still be kinda crumbly).
Turn on a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Roll out into a rectangle about 10 inches long, 8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Place the berries over the top of the dough in one layer and sprinkle with cinnamon. Carefully roll the dough up (blackberries WILL try to escape from the ends) like a cinnamon bun. Slice the dough in about 1 inch thick slices and place round side down in the dish of melted butter. If you run out of space just start layering the slices on top of each other.
- Pour the sugar syrup from earlier on top of your slices. Back at 350 degrees (F) for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and bake another 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Also great with Pioneer Woman’s Yogurt Cream .