Back to the Cutting Board
Malted Chocolate Chip Waffles with Maple-Cherry Sauce
Breakfast | Yield: 12-14 squares (about 4 servings)
Prep time: 30 min | Cook time: 8 min | Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate malted milk powder or plain malted milk powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (slightly cooled) or canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 20 oz. (about 4 cups) fresh or frozen cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or more to taste)
- Make the sauce (this can be made 2 days ahead): Place cherries and water in a sauce pan, cover and cook on medium-low for about 5-10 minutes or until cherries start to release their juice (this will take longer if using frozen cherries). Increase heat to medium and cook about 10 to 15 more minutes until cherries are very soft. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree the cherries. Or, if you prefer a chunkier sauce, gently mash the cherries with a wooden spoon or a potato masher. If you’re making this ahead of time, store the cherry sauce in your fridge.
- When you’re ready to make the waffles, transfer the sauce back to your sauce pan and stir in the maple syrup. Taste and add more syrup if you prefer. You can also add a little more water for a thinner sauce. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, turn down to low to keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, malted milk powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until moist. Don’t overmix, the batter should be lumpy. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Heat your waffle iron and coat with cooking spray. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter on each square of your waffle iron (or 1/2 to 2/3 cup if you’re using a Belgian waffle iron). Cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes (or until your waffle iron’s light goes off). If not serving immediately, arrange waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in a 250 degree oven to keep warm and crisp.
Serve warm, topped with maple-cherry sauce.