Back to the Cutting Board
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
adapted from Allrecipes.com 
Breakfast | Yield: 18 regular sized muffins or 72 mini-muffins
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 35 min
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin pie mix**
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
*If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, use the following instead: 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 3/4 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. allspice and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.
**You could use plain canned pumpkin instead, but increase the applesauce by about 1/4 cup and double the spices.
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Lightly grease muffin tin(s).
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugars, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin and applesauce.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, about 3/4 full. An ice cream scoop is perfect for this.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and cinnamon for the streusel topping. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffins.
- Bake regular sized muffins for 20-25 minutes, mini-muffins for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Store in air tight container for up to 3 days or freeze and microwave for 30-45 seconds to defrost individually.