Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes
from Pinch My Salt
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin pie mix (15 oz. can)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup lightly-packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. Or spray with cups with cooking spray if you don’t want to use liners.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together; set aside. In a separate bowl, stir together the yogurt, pumpkin, vinegar, and vanilla extract, set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, and using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Alternately beat in the flour and pumpkin mixtures in thirds (for example, beat in 1/3 flour mixture followed by 1/3 pumpkin mixture and repeat until everything is combined). Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
4. Working quickly, spoon batter into cupcake cups, filling each about 3/4 full. (An ice cream scoop works perfectly for this.) Place cupcake pans in the center of the preheated oven and bake approximately 20-25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes then remove cupcakes from pans and let cool completely on the wire racks.
5. While cupcakes are cooling, prepare cream cheese frosting (recipe below). When cupcakes are cool, spread with frosting.
Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4. tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. If frosting is too soft, chill in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
2. Spread on top of cupcakes. Top with your favorite Halloween candy!